Maltose Yeast Extract Medium (MYM)
Maltose-Yeast Extract-Malt Extract (MYM) medium is a rich medium used especially for the growth of Streptomyces venezuelae, as it sporulates to >90% completion in liquid MYM . Other Streptomyces sp. may also grow well on this medium.
- 4g Maltose
- 4g Yeast Extract Oxoid
- 10g Malt Extract
- 500ml Tap Water
- 500ml dH2O
- Dissolve all ingredients in 500ml tap water & 250ml dH2O
- pH to 7.2-7.3 with NaOH
- add dH2O up to 1L
- For solid medium, add 2g agar & 100mL liquid MYM to each flask
- Autoclave, expect a precipitate to form afterward.
- For optimal Streptomyces venezuelae sporulation, add Trace element solution at a 1:500 dilution.
- Routine growth of Streptomyces venezuelae
- Developmental studies on Streptomyces venezuelae
If using for growth measurements in liquid medium, it is best to allow the precipitate to settle overnight before pipetting the medium into growth vessels - take from the top to avoid the precipitate.
1. Stuttard C. 1982. Temperate phages of Streptomyces venezuelae: lysogeny and host specificity shown by phages SV1 and SV2. Microbiology 128:115–121.
2. Bibb MJ, Domonkos A, Chandra G, Buttner MJ. 2012. Expression of the chaplin and rodlin hydrophobic sheath proteins in Streptomyces venezuelae is controlled by σBldN and a cognate anti-sigma factor, RsbN. Mol. Microbiol. 84:1033–1049